Rub food up the right way with our unique flavoured salts. Made with pure 100% Australian Sea Salt and the best quality, most delicious herbs & spices available, Sea Salt has been perfectly blended and balanced to enhance the natural flavours of fresh produce whether it be meat, fish, salads, vegetables, sauces, soups or egg dishes. In fact, the flavour of any savoury dish is enhanced by a pinch or two of any of our gourmet salts..
Our gourmet salts are totally natural products. They contain no preservatives, no artificial colours,
additives or flavours, ever!
A salty marinade helps meat absorb flavour and works particularly well with white meats, such as pork, chicken and fish, as the natural sweetness of the meat is accentuated by the sea salt. When in contact with meat or fish for any length of time the sea salt will dissolve, thus preventing the outer layer of the meat from becoming dehydrated while imparting the meat with the flavour of the herbs and spices. Meat and fish that have been lightly brined will retain much more moisture, resulting in a more noticeable juiciness upon consumption. AJs gourmet salts can be used as a general seasoning for the table as well as a marinade for meat and vegetables.
“Hot, hot, hot” Garlic Tempura Prawns
- 1kg king prawns, head and shells removed, de-veined (keep tails on) 3⁄4 Cup Plain flour 1⁄4 cup cornflour
- 4 tbsp of hot, hot, hot salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup ice water
- Plain flour for dusting
- Heat deep fryer to approximately 180 degrees C.
- To make batter, mix plain flour, corn flour, hot, hot ,hot sea salt, egg yolk and ice cold water in a bowl( tip, don’t mix too much because you want the batter to be a bit lumpy) Dust the prawns lightly in flour then dip them in the batter.
- Drop the prawns one at a time into the deep-fryer, cook until golden brown, then scoop them out onto kitchen paper to drain. Serve immediately with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Fantastic!
TIP: don’t stop at prawns. Also delicious cooked tempura-style are small fish pieces, calamari rings, crab, lobster, chicken, beans, onion rings and thinly sliced vegetables like carrot, potato and zucchini.
Australian Bush Salt
Australian bush salt contains natural Australian Sea Salt, juniper berries, thyme leaves & toasted onions and that’s it, nothing else. Juniper berries are a wonderfully woody, aromatic herb used most commonly in northern Europe with strongly flavoured meats such as venison, wild duck, boar and other wild game.
Roast Leg of Venison
You will want to do this only with a young deer, preferably a doe or yearling. For non-hunters, a leg of lamb or goat also works well. Don’t try this recipe with larger, older animals, which will be too large and too tough. A good gauge is weight: The leg should never weigh more than 2 kg.
A note on the oil: only use “good” oil. Olive oil, walnut oil, even sesame oil — the point is to use something that adds flavor to the roast, together with a good rub of our Australia bush salt.
Serve this with classic trimmings: something like. Mashed, baked or roasted potatoes are traditional, and cranberry sauce!.
Serves 4 to 8, depending on the size of the roast.
Prep Time: 45 minutes, mostly to let the meat come to room temperature. Cook Time: 90 minutes, again, depending on the size of the roast.
- 1 hind leg of venison, shank removed
- Australian bush salt
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into thick slivers
- 1/4 cup squash seed oil or other flavorful oil
- About 1 cup of red wine, stock or water
- 2 tablespoons minced sage
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Lusty Lemon Flavoured Salt
Use our lusty lemon gourmet salt to make these gorgeous potatoes
- 1 kg of small baby cocktail potatoes
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 tbs dried Greek oregano
- 1 tsp lusty lemon salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepperPreheat oven to 180°C. Place the potatoes, lemon juice, oil and oregano in a large roasting pan and toss until well combined. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.Roast in oven, turning carefully halfway through cooking, for 1 hour 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Gourmet Salty Dog Salt
This unique blend incorporates various different spices with the salt these include cumin, cloves, fennel and smoked paprika. This salt acts as a good rub for bbq meats, as it brings out the juiciness of the meat try it on our bbq rib recipe below:
- 1.5kg pork back ribs
- 1 small jar of honey
- 1 teaspoon paprika (plain)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons salty dog salt
- ￼￼￼￼1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, grated or finely chopped
- 12 ounces barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup white sugar
Place all ingredients together in large roasting pan (i use bottom of turkey roaster). Cut the ribs apart for ease of serving. Mix all the ingredients together and coats the ribs well on both sides. Spread evenly on the bottom of a roasting pan, covering lightly with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
Remove and leave to rest for 10 minutes before
serving or alternatively finish off both sides under a hot grill to add some good colour and enhance the flavours.
Gourmet Rosemary Blush Sea Salt
This blend adds flavour to any meats, we have added roasted onion and garlic to make a brilliant flavour for souvlaki kebabs, below is the recipe:
- 11⁄2 kg lamb leg or shoulder (fat trimmed), cut into chunks
- 100ml olive oil
- 100ml red wine
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp Rosemary blush sea salt
- zest and juice 2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- flatbread, shredded red cabbage (tossed with lemon juice), cucumber, tomato, chilli sauce and natural yogurt
- Put the lamb into a large bowl or strong food bag. Add the olive oil, wine, oregano, lemon zest and juice, garlic and black pepper – don’t add salt yet. Mix together so that all the lamb is completely coated, then chill and marinate for at least a few hrs or overnight.
- Lift the chunks of lamb out of the marinade and thread onto 10 metal skewers, or wooden ones that have been soaked. heat a grill, barbecue or griddle pan .
- Season the meat with the rosemary blush gourmet salts, then cook the skewers for 10-12 mins, turning, until cooked to your liking. Serve tucked into warm flatbreads with salad and drizzle with chilli sauce and yogurt.